Search This Blog

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Fairytales




My lonely walks
across the meadow
of your heart…
I lost my way in the fog
of your memory.
I was invisible as the wind
As shadowy as your own shadow….

I stared at the chameleon in you
I was thrilled like a child….
For at last I saw the unicorn
or the dragon
out of a fairytale book.

Your scales were fiery
Touched the chimney in my kitchen
The heat of my oven cooled
The final shape,
settled into the mould
of the evening.

I don’t have to make
moulds anymore
because the sun stares
at my face all night long.

© Nandini Basu 2011





3 comments:

Anonymous said...

At this rate of new releases, racing with comments become rather challenging!!
Still, the two metaphors and two similes in the first stanza set a powerful combination of tradition and individual talent. Relating 'heart' with 'meadow' and 'fog' with memory is latently traditional and blatently individual. The middle part is melodious, with a repetition of the sound /l/ in particular (11 /l/s in 11 lines to be specific).
The last stanza is conceitful: to Tagorize it in Bangla one can go on: diner gotTa surjoTai ache rater tarar gobhire.
Congratulations poetess.

sup said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nandini Basu said...

Thanks Rajat and Supratik :-)